Play Based Learning Environment
The focus of C&K kindergartens, and C&K Ashgrove West Preschool, is for children to learn through play.
It is a commitment of all C&K kindergartens to deliver all four elements international studies confirm are essential for optimal emotional, physical, social and intellectual growth and development in early childhood education.
These elements are:
- A nurturing, stimulating, caring and fun-filled environment
C&K Ashgrove West Preschool has large natural outdoor play areas, including a hill for rolling down, an obstacle course, a creek and paths through a rainforest area, vegetable and flower gardens, trees to climb, a mud digging pit, a large sandpit and a number of covered outdoor areas for water and art and craft and other activities that can still be undertaken on hot or rainy days.
- University qualified early childhood educators
Each class is led by an early childhood university trained educator, as well as a trained assistant.
- Play based learning
Play is a learning strategy and all children learn through play at their own pace. Your child will have opportunities to explore, develop and create at C&K Ashgrove West Preschool. The curriculum approach at C&K Ashgrove West Preschool will foster, amongst other things, your child’s curiosity, perseverance and risk taking. The educators will create opportunities and support planned and unplanned experiences for children in a play based environment.
- Involvement of families
C&K Ashgrove West Preschool recognises the important role played by families in the education of their child and values parent participation on a variety of levels.
Families can participate in many ways, including:
- Sharing skills and interests with the children in the educational program
- Attending parent meetings organised by educators or the committee
- Attending social functions
- Supporting fund raising activities
- Becoming involved in the Management Committee
- Observe and/or participate in your child’s class
- Supporting and encouraging your child in their efforts at preschool
- Access the books, puzzles, parent resource books and DVDs, pamphlets, etc in the Parent Resource Room
- Contributing to our sustainability program, by donating recyclable materials that can be used for art, including architect’s paper, cardboard boxes, egg cartons, fabric, bottle tops etc.