Children are the central focus of the early childhood curriculum at all times.
As such, the curriculum at C&K Ashgrove West Preschool is in accordance with:
- “Building Waterfalls – A Living and Learning Curriculum Framework”, which is published by C&K – click here to read more about this curriculum; and
- “Early Years Learning Framework – Belonging, Being and Becoming”, the national publication which describes the principles, practices and outcomes that support and enhance young children’s learning. Click here to read more about this curriculum
Both curricula are approved learning frameworks under the National Quality Framework.
Curriculum in the early childhood setting means “all the interactions, experiences, activities, routines and events, planned and unplanned, that occur in an environment are designed to foster children’s learning and development” (adapted from the Wharik).
The role of the educator is to acknowledge the complexities and differences that children bring with them, and to assess and monitor children’s learning to inform, provide for and support children in achieving the learning outcomes as stated in the Early Years Learning Framework, namely:
- Children have a strong sense of identity
- Children are connected with and contribute to their world
- Children have a strong sense of wellbeing
- Children are confident and involved learners
- Children are effective communicators.